Friday, April 27, 2018

I've Got A New Attitude

April 24, 2018: Moving Day

To be honest, I packed up and moved all of my stuff the day before, but the 24th was the day I really settled in and started making the space my own. Went to the store to pick up a few household necessities and now this place is starting to look like I live here :)

Now, you're probably wondering what made me take this step (and what a HUGE step it is!) and I'll tell you: I was forced. March 9th I was given a "get out" date with absolutely no warning and had to make due with what I had. Thank goodness I'm a planner and had been saving to move by November of this year anyway, so I had a decent little nest egg put off to the side for moving expenses, but what I did not anticipate was the stress that came with finding a suitable place in enough time!

I went traveling from borough to borough, neighborhood to neighborhood, in hopes of finding a place to call home by May 1, 2018. Either the places were too expensive (seems like there are very few rooms available for <$900/month that include utilities), had too many roommates (4 people using 1 bathroom and they're not related? No thanks), or were too far from my job to commute each day (1.5-2 hrs on a train? Eww).

Just when I was giving up all hope, I found the perfect place: less than 1 hr to work, $800/month, including utilities, one roommate, and in a neighborhood not too far from what I was used to. Fate! It must have been. And with 2 weeks to spare! So I made the decision to take it. I scheduled an Uber, packed my belongings tetris-style into the car, and away I went! It's been a whirlwind 24 hrs, but I'm optimistic about how things are going to turn out.

For now, I'll just say "until next time, until the next post....keep your head high and keep swimming".

-TNew Attitude - Ms. Patti LaBelle

No comments:

Post a Comment